Friday, October 2, 2009

If David is that big, how big was Goliath?

Florence was amazing, such a beautiful city and lots to do. I spent a day at the Pitti Palace, where the Medici family lived for a long time. Now it is a museum, the palace is open for viewing and there is a botanical garden. I started out early and spent a lot of time in the museum and trying to better understand the rennaisance art. The palace was amazing, palatial, ornate, with gold leaf and art from all over the world. I just keep thinking about what it was like to live as a king in that time (or any time for that matter). What a foreign concept. From there, I spent some time relaxing in the garden.

I had some dinner left over from the night before, so I went to the market and got some wine and bread to go along with the cheese. Something interesting about Tuscan bread, there is no salt in it. So the first time I had some, in the restaurant, it took me a minute or so to realize that it wasn't that it tasted bad, but rather there was no salt. I found out why later (see the post on the cooking class). So I sat on the balcony at the hotel, a nice perk for a budget hotel for sure, and enjoyed a late lunch.

After that, I took a trip over to the Accademia Museum, where David lives. My goodness, he is GIGANTIC! For some reason, I thought that he was about human sized, but he is more than twice as big. The level of detail in the sculpting was amazing, he has toenails for crying out loud. All that carved into marble. He truly is an amazing work of art - go see it.

Then, there was still some time left to walk to the top of the tower next to the Duomo. I climbed something like 420 steps to the top for an amazing view. At least I'm getting a little bit of workout, otherwise, by this time in the trip my pants would not fit any more.

^k

No comments: