Saturday, October 3, 2009

Biking in the Hills

On the 3rd, I signed up to go on a biking trip through Tuscany. It was a 23 km (13 mi) trek led by a few Scots and one irishman. We started off at a winery that was constructed in 1200, miraculously it is still standing up straight and tall. We took a tour of the winery and learned about what makes a Chianti Classico versus a Chianti Reserva. We also learned about cold pressing olives to make extra virgin olive oil and then tasted some wine, bread and olive oil. It was fabulous!

Then we got our bikes, mine was named James Bond, but I wasn't prepared to do any neat spy tricks. Off we went, through the Tuscan country side. It was absolutely beautiful. I wish that I had my USB cable with me right now so I could post some photos, but unfortunately it is back in Florence and I'm in Tuscany at the moment. There were endless rolling hills of vineyards, forests and olive trees without a house in sight. As we biked around, we passed wineries and small restaurants. Midway, we stopped for lunch which was absolutely fabulous!!! It was a simple meal, but so so good. Started off with a salad dressed with olive oil and red wine vinegar, followed by a four cheese pasta and finished with a tiramisu cake. That coupled with the two glasses of wine should hvae warned me of what was ahead.

Back on the bikes, we went for a while up a mild but long incline. Then we stopped and the guide told us about the hill that was ahead (which we couldn't see). He said, even if you bike every day, this hill will "kick your ass." I figured, it was only 900 km, only half a mile, how bad could it possibly be. A bunch of people took the van up to the top, bikes in tow. Several started off on the climb, me included. I really wanted to make it to the top on my own, but this is vacation after all. And after the two glasses of wine and huge meal, it wasn't going to stay with me if I kept going. So, I stopped mid-way and hitched a ride with the van to the top. Oh well... I'm a bit disappointed, but this is vacation after all.

On the trip, I met several really cool people. There was a group of recent college grads from North County San Diego. Naturally, I insisted that they go to your bar Joe, though they said it is a bit of a hike to get down there. I reminded them that they just treked around the world, a half hour to IB wouldn't kill them ;) Then there were Ross and Sue, a really nice couple from Canada who have traveled all over the world. I spent a lot of time with them walking up the big hill that none of us could do (they made it up the hill without hitching a ride). Then there were Sheri and Jim, a nice couple from northern California. At the end of the bike ride, the two couples and I got dropped off at the Piazza Michelangelo, which is a high point just outside the city of Florence, which was a great photo-op. From there, we walked back to town and parted ways. I made my way over to the market, which is about 7 blocks of merchants selling all kinds of leather goods, art, and other souveniers.
^k

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Expect to see more photos when you get home,kelly