Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Engineer's Debacle

On Oct. 4, I took a day trip to Pisa. How can you come to Italy and not see the debacle? I guess I was a bit off in my proportions when thinking about these monuments. Pisa is about 7 or 8 stories high and during construction in the 12th century, it started leaning when they got to the 3rd level. Today, the structure is under renovation because it continues to sink on one side. They still give tours though, but the only allow 30 people at a time, every 30 minutes because they are afraid that it is going to collapse. Umm... no thanks, I'll take a look at the ground level.

I didn't have much interest in the rest of what Pisa had to offer (more churches, museums, etc.), so I made my way back to Florence so I could prepare for my trip to Tuscany.
^k

No comments: