Friday, October 9, 2009

Green and Gold

Green is for the rolling hills and I think the gold is for the beer... not sure. So I arrived in Dublin, which is a rocking city, and quickly found a place to stay right near the main drag for a good price. I went around town for a bit, it's much colder here than it was in Italy, only about 12 degrees C (compared to about 25 in Italy). I did a tour of the Guiness Storehouse today, which was done very nicely by Guiness. They have a self-guided tour set up, and show you the process of making the porter and they also go through some interesting facts about the owner, like he signed a 9,000 year lease 250 years ago, on the property where the storehouse is located. That's pretty insane. After you go through the tour, you can either go up to the highest point in the area, called the Gravity Bar and have a free pint of beer, or you can pour it yourself. Since I never poured a Guiness before, I figured I would learn how, and proudly received a certificate for pouring the "Perfect Pint." hehe, ok, it was exactly perfect but it tasted good :) When I got out of there, it had started raining pretty hard, so I high tailed it back to the city center and grabbed some Bulmers (that's Irish for Magners Cider) and some dinner before calling it a night. I wanted to see some Irish music, but the bars were really crowded because Ireland is playing Italy tomorrow night for a spot in the World Cup, so the city is teeming with both Irish and Italians partying it up. Hope to catch the game somewhere tomorrow.
~k

No comments: