Saturday, September 12, 2009

Welcome to Malawi!

I finally made it, and when I saw my bag coming out along the carousel I was nothing less than ecstatic. It was a short drive to to the hotel and on the way, we drove through some really poverty stricken areas. The hotel is located in the city of Blantyre and the rooms and staff are positively lovely. The reception area is very comfortable and welcoming and there is a computer for the guests to use. Hopefully, I'll be able to post every day while I'm here. We met up with the Water for People group and everyone is fantastic. After we got back to the hotel, we stopped out to exchange money and ended up stopping by a market. I was completely overwhelmed by the high pressure sales and price negotiation that is involved. After 26 hrs of flight and hardly any sleep it wasn't something I could process right now.

Tomorrow, we start with an orientation about WFPs mission here and go over the itinerary. For now, I'm going to get some sleep.
~k

No comments: